Thursday 10 May 2012

new blog time

You know sometimes when you think out loud?I have a problem! I do it all the time. Today in class, I started rambling as is my wont. I was congratulating one of my fine erudite young students on being accepted for his drama course. I told him that it is a rare treat to make your hobby your profession. I also confessed that if I hadn't been waylaid into the teaching profession, my dream job would have been to be a critic; a food critic, a TV or film critic, a book critic  it doesn't matter. A number of students simultaneously proffered the view; why not now? as only a seventeen or eighteen year old can. I offered the usual excuses that any forty year old balding fat man can; mortgage, kids, time. As has been proved many times over the past two years they are wiser than I. (Collectively at least). This blog is the result of that discussion.
One of the great virtues of being an English teacher is the opportunities that it gives you to see great writing being written and subsequently the urge to help somebody make that great writing even better. While we criticize as teachers, the best of us only do it to allow our students improve that which is already there.
I love Ego's speech at the end of Ratatouille:
In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.
I hope to use this blog to thrive on positive criticism. To celebrate books, food, tv, film, teaching, parenting, sport and all the rest and I hereby dedicate my ramblings to my Leaving Certificate Class of 2012.

3 comments:

  1. I shall be following your blog with interest, sir. Let me know if you want a hand spicing the place up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too shall be following! And thank you very much for the dedication, I did not expect to see a blog so soon, or really what I expected was for you to create one but not tell us.
    (and I love Ratatouille)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire the commitment to the cause. well done for getting to it. Shall be following with great expectations comparable to man's for his dinner. Also seconding the love for ratatouille.

    ReplyDelete