Sunday 20 May 2012

If thou didst ever hold me in thy heart, Absent thee from felicity awhile, And in this harsh world draw thy breath in pain, To tell my story.

The end of the school year is always filled with mixed emotions. There is the overriding exhaustion of an unfit 40 year old. There is the apprehension felt for my students as they go face to face with the toughest exam that they'll ever likely face.There is certainly the optimistic vista of the summer holidays, the travel, time with the children and all that brings with it and there is also the regret at losing students whose company you've enjoyed in the classroom and on extra curricular activities.
 Every year, I am asked by my leaving certificates if I will miss them. I rarely answer honestly. I could say of course, you were the best ever, but that is too facetious. I could say another year another group, you lot are just another over the last eighteen years of teaching but that is far from true too. I've always loved the coda to Damien Rice's song The Blower's Daughter: "I can't take my eyes of of you"............... Until I find somebody new."
 I honestly believe that each student I teach affects my teaching profoundly. I was proudly presented with a plaque last year by my leaving cert students it bore a quote from Henry Adams:"A teacher affects eternity he can never tell, where his influence stops." The significance of this is profoundly overwhelming. But I must say "right back at ya!".
 My thought process, my educational philosophy, my view of people and my core beliefs have been changed by the fact that my profession is teaching and therefore by the students that I have taught. This year's leaving cert class are an exceptional bunch of thinkers and I am grateful for having known them. I have been blessed that as a group they are exceptional writers and incredibly creative. They have an admirable work ethic which will stand to them forever.
 My school will miss them. I will miss them............... Until I find somebody new.

No comments:

Post a Comment