Friday 20 July 2012

Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue. But if you mouth it, as many of our players do, I had as lief the town crier spoke my lines

Some films I lke
In no particular order.
Vertigo
From the startling titles to Bernard Herman's score. Hitchcock at his devilish best.

The Empire Strikes Back
I loved this the first time and loved it more when I got to watch it with my son.

The Third Man
I had the pleasure of seeing Welles' masterpiece on the big screen when I worked for the Cork Film Festival in my teens. The speeches alone make it worth watching.

Casablanca 
Ingrid Bergman!

Finding Nemo
There are so many films about Fathers and Sons. Indeed there are many plays also but this is one of the best. The best film Woody Allen never made.

12 Angry Men
The intensity, the heat.

Jesus of Montreal
Again, from my days at the Cork Film Festival, an incredible film about acting.

Citizen Kane
Another Welles and Cotton combo. Psychologically taut and deep.

The Shining
I saw this in our school film club under the guidance of Padraig O Scanlain. It scared the bejesus out of me. It also led me to reading Stephen King. An added bonus.

High noon
Every town needs a hero even when they don't know it.

The Shawshank Redemption
Every footballer's favourite. More Stephen King. A great story.

Godfather 2
Brando, De Niro, Pacino.

No comments:

Post a Comment